are you fucking kidding me? how dare you cut down this man for actually being a good person. the catholic church is strict, incredibly strict, and he is the fucking POPE and he is sticking up for homosexuals, he is fighting racism, he is giving a voice to the poor and you assholes are taking his goodness away and chalking him up to as a big company PR guy. how dare you. he is doing his best to be a good god damn person and you assholes can never let anything just be good, especially if that something has anything do to with christianity.
1) I dare because I live in a country with freedom of speech.
2) I dare because I actually use reason and evaluate my world based on fact, not the delusion of faith.
3) I dare because although the Vatican’s new PR guy has paid lip-service to defending the poor, LGBT, atheists and so forth, it has only been that: words. No formal decrees have been issued or implemented.
4) I dare because even though he decries Capitalism, the Catholic Church is one of the oldest corporations on the planet worth tens of billions of dollars. While he is surrounded by priceless art, gold crosses, jewel-encrusted chalices and massive real estate holdings, a third of the world goes to sleep hungry every night. Not what Jesus was all about.
5) I dare because even though he says he’s not to judge the LGBT, the Catholic Church still promotes ignorance regarding sexual preference. Yes, it IS his job to “judge,” to do so with love and wisdom and to make changes in the church based on Jesus’ teachings, not based on discrimination. He says nice things, but no formal changes have occurred within the church.
6) I dare because hundreds of priests have molested thousands of children over the past several decades, and rather than seeing those priests face criminal charges, the Catholic church has protected the abusers from jail, while allowing them to stay ordained. Until he oversees a massive purge of these vile men, his words are meaningless.
He is 100% in place purely for public relations. Why else would they choose a new Pope while the previous is still alive?
His words have as much meaning as a CEO from BP or Exxon saying they want to protect the environment while hundreds of thousands of gallons of oil spill into the ocean every day.
Believing what the new Pope says is about as wise as believing Dick Cheney saying that we were justified to invade Iraq.
And one of the most important things anyone can ever learn in life is this: Believing in something doesn’t make it true.
Oh, look, someone put it into words.
Don’t get me wrong. Maybe Pope Francis is “good” and caught between a rock and a hard place (come on, it’d be too politically naïve to really believe that he could actually change the Church’s policies overnight even if he wanted to, he’s not the CEO of a company). But even if he’s good and nice and stuff, that doesn’t make it any less true that the Catholic Church is still definitely not one of the Good Guys.
He’s been pope for a little while and hasn’t totally overturned hundreds of years of shitty traditions to win the approval of Tumblr users? Yeah, the guy must be an evil fuck.